- The era of Mahan Baekje Wansanju in the 16th year of Gyeongdeokwang of the Unified Silla Dynasty.
- 1935.10.1 : Wanju-gun divided into Jeonju
- 1957,11.6. Parts of Chopo and Ujeon-myeon incorporated into Jeonju.
- 1983.2, 15 : A Part of Sanggwan-myeon incorporated into Jeonju.
- 1987.1.1 : Jochon-eup incorporated into Jeonju
- 1989. 1. 1 : Parts of Yongjin-myeon and Gui-myeon incorporated into Jeonju.
- 1990.8.1 : A Parts of Iseo-myeon incorporated into Jeonju.
Wanju area was included in the district
of Mahan during the Samhan Era, and in the
year 555 (Wideokwang's second year rule
of Baekje) he founded Wansanju.
Wansanju was abolished ten years later in 565 then restored in 685 by Silla's Sinmunwang. Sinmunwang was in his 5th year at throne, after Baekje was annexed to Silla in 660 (Uijawang's 2nd year). Since then the district developed to become the center of local administration.
In 757 (Gyeongdeokwang's 16th year at throne) the district name changed to Jeonju, and Wansanjeong was founded to develop the area into the central military site.
Then, in 892 (the 6th year of Jinseongyeowang's reign) Gyeonhwon founded the Latter Baekje (Hu Baekje), in Wansan. The district was included in the Latter Baekje for 45 years, until the kingdom fell apart in 936 (Taejo's 19th year at throne).
|The Goryeo Dynasty||
name of the area changed from Jeonju to
Annamdohobu in 936 (Taejo's 19th year at
throne), and then restored to Jeonju in
940 (Taejo's 23rd year at throne). Wansan
was renamed as Seunghwa in 993, and Jeoldoanmusa
2 years later, the area was named Sunui-gun which was included in Gangnamdo, when the whole kingdom was divided into 10 dos and 12 jus. In 1005 (Mokjong's 8th year) a Jeoldosa (a military officer) of Jeonju was dispatched into the district which was raised to Annamdaedohobu in 1018 (Hyeonjong's 9th year), when the local policies were reformed.However, 4 years later in 1022 the district was renamed again as Jeonjumok.
In 1355 (Gongminwang's 4th year), due to the event that Jeong Ji-Sang, then Anryeongsa (a provincial governor) of Jeollado, imprisoned an ambassador from China (Won Dynasty) the area was degraded from Wansanbu to Bugo, and the year after, its status was recovered.
|The Joseon Dynasty||
year 1392 (Taejo's first year at throne)
when Joseon was founded, the area became
important for being the birthplace of Taejo
and was raised to Wansan Yusubu.
Then, in 1403 (Taejong's 3rd year of rule) the area was renamed as Jeonjubu and kept this name until the late Joseon era. However, the district was smaller than that of the Goryeo Dynasty.
|Modern Times||In 1914 Gosan-gun was united into Jeonju-gun. Then, in 1935 Jeonju-eup was raised to Jeonju-bu, and Jeonju-gun was renamed as Wanju-gun. 15 myeons were included in the district.|
was raised to a eup district in 1956. In
1957 Chopo and Ujeon-myeons and parts of
Jochon, Yongjin, and Sanggwan-myeon were
annexed into Jeonju City. Parts of Chopo-myeon
were also annexed into Samnye-eup and Yongjin-myeon,
while a part of Ujeon-myeon was annexed
Then, in 1966 the Gyeongcheon Branch Office in Unju-myeon was promoted to Gyeongcheon-myeon. In 1973 Bongdong-myeon was raised to a eup. Hwasan Village of Onsu-ri Iksan-gun was annexed into Samnye-ri Samnye-eup, and part of Sanjeong-ri Yongjin-myeon was annexed into the Ua-dong district of Jeonju City.
In 1983 Daeseong-ri and Saekjang-ri of Sanggwan-myeon and part of Sanjeong-ri Yongjin-myeon were annexed into Jeonju City.
Part of Dodeok-ri Baekgu-myeon Gimje-gun was annexed into Jochon-myeon. Jochon-myeon was raised to an eup in 1985 and then annexed into Jeonju City in 1987. In 1989 the Unju-myeon Gyeongcheon branch office was raised to Gyeongcheon-myeon.
Jung-ri and Sangrim-ri of Iseo-myeon were annexed into Jeonju City in 1990. Then, in 1994 part of Geumpyeong-ri Yongji-myeon Gimje-gun was annexed into Iseo-myeon.